Answered here:

    Questions about Exemptions to The Process of Obtaining Firearms in Canada

    Are there exemptions for Aboriginal (Indian, Inuit, and Métis) people?

    There are indeed some adaptations of the process available to aboriginal people. However it's a pretty nuanced topic, and the RCMP CFP has a pretty in depth page on their website dedicated to it. I'm sure they've done a more complete job than could be done here.

    Are senior citizens exempt from any of the laws or regulations pertaining to firearms?


    I have a hunting license, do I still need a firearms license?

    Hunting and firearms are separate issues. Hunting is provincially regulated as wildlife is considered a natural resource, and is thus managed by the provinces. Pushing control down to the local level allows for more granular and responsive administration. Firearms are a public safety issue, and are regulated federally.

    Many people own firearms for purposes other than hunting, and many people who hunt do not use rifles and shotguns. If you intend to hunt with a device such as a bow that doesn't require a firearms licenses, then no, you would not need a firearms license. However if you do intend to hunt with something which requires a firearms license then yes, you would.

    I already took a safety class, do I have to do it again?

    This is an incredibly complex topic. Because of the complexity I do not provide answers beyond what is listed here. For better information please call the RCMP CFP at +1 (800) 731-4000 (Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm).

    My license expired

    If you have a license which recently expired, you may be able to renew it without taking the course. However if it's been a while you'll probably have to do it again.

    I passed the class but never applied

    If you took the CFSC and passed the test, but did not apply for a license afterward and it's been more than a year, I believe you are required to take it again.

    I have a hunting license, but I wish to purchase a gun

    Hunting licenses and firearms licenses are totally separate and have been for decades. Generally speaking you may not possess a firearm at all without a valid authorization, and a hunting licenses is not an authorization.

    The above answer is incomplete. For further information it is recommended you contact the RCMP CFP by calling +1 (800) 731-4000 (Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm)

    Can I just do the test or challenge it?

    Generally speaking no. Persons who have not previously taken the CFSC are no longer allowed to challenge the test. If you have previously taken the class but are taking it again, it may be possible for you to challenge it. You should contact the RCMP CFP and then an instructor to find out.

    Hunting licenses and firearms licenses are separate. Many people who hunt do not use firearms. Many people who use firearms, do not hunt. Hunting is an issue of resource management and is thus managed provincially. Firearms are a public safety issue which is managed federally. This has been the case since the mid 1990s.

    Can I be exempt from submitting a photo?

    If your religion prohibits you from being photographed you may be exempted from providing one.

    Your application must include:

    • A signed declaration stating that you can not be photographed for religious reasons.
    • You must also include a second declaration:
      • Signed by someone of your religion who is authorized by your province to solemnize marriages
      • Which states your shared religion prohibits the taking of photographs of its members
      • Which states you are a member of that  religion.

    The Justice Laws website has more information on this.